Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Hillsborough County commissioners deeded property at Ashley Drive and Twiggs Street for a Catholic church in early 1850s. In 1859, a small frame church was erected there and named St. Louis Parish in honor of King Louis IX of France and in memory of Father Luis Cancer. The church grew by two wings in 1883. Five years later, three pastors of St. Louis Parish succumbed to the Yellow Fever epidemic. In 1897, Tampa had grown considerably thanks to the arrival of Henry B. Plant’s railroad and the Tampa Bay Hotel. To accommodate the new residents, Father William Tyrell, S.J. announced that a larger church would be built. Constructed at a cost of $300,000 by Nicholas J. Clayton, Sacred Heart Catholic Church was dedicated in 1905. It features Romanesque architecture, and its exterior is made of granite and white marble. The church has seventy stained glass windows, seventeen of which were made by the Franz Mayer Company of Munich, Germany. Sacred Heart held its 100th anniversary in 2005.