USF Libraries | Special & Digital Collections | Exhibits

Browse Items (3 total)

  • Tags: sponge warehouse

1546132[1].jpg
The Gulf of Mexico Sponge Co. warehouse was built at 122 Roosevelt Boulevard around 1930 by Drosos Alahuzos, who arrived in the U.S. in 1916. Drosos ran the family sponge business out of Philadelphia but spent some of his time in Tarpon Springs,…

1546134[1].jpg
The Samarkos Sponge Warehouse on Pinellas Avenue was owned and operated by the Samarkos family, many of whose members were active as captains, divers, and merchants in the sponge industry. Signs in this image from November 26, 1972 indicate that it…

1546199[1].jpg
One of Tarpon Springs’ largest sponge merchants was Michail Koutouzis (1942-2013), standing amid sponges being packaged for sale in his sponge warehouse in April 2008. Originally from Kalymnos, Koutouzis and his brothers were all sponge…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2