USF Libraries | Special & Digital Collections | Exhibits

Sponge Exchange ca. 1910s

Dublin Core

Title

Sponge Exchange ca. 1910s

Subject

Tarpon Springs Sponge Exchange

Description

Greek men gather in the courtyard at an early version of the Sponge Exchange. The Sponge Exchange was founded around 1907 or 1908 as a nonprofit corporation with shares owned by 50 buyers. At this cooperative space across the street from the Sponge Docks, sponges were sorted, strung, stored, and finally auctioned. The buildings were replaced several times over the years.

Creator

City of Tarpon Springs

Source

Courtesy of Dr. Themistocles J. Diamandis

Publisher

City of Tarpon Springs

Date

ca. 1910s

Contributor

Courtesy of Dr. Themistocles J. Diamandis via Alyce Diamandis

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

photo

Files

1546010.jpg

Citation

City of Tarpon Springs, “Sponge Exchange ca. 1910s,” USF Library Special & Digital Collections Exhibits, accessed December 10, 2019, http://exhibits.lib.usf.edu/items/show/2664.