USF Libraries | Special & Digital Collections | Exhibits

St. Nicholas Greek School c.1920s

Dublin Core

Title

St. Nicholas Greek School c.1920s

Subject

Tarpon Springs, Greek Community, St. Nicholas Greek School students

Description

The Greek community opened its first parochial school in 1925. In the early years, 200 children attended daily classes after public school. St. Nicholas Greek School employed three teachers and assistants who taught Greek history, language, culture, writing, reading, religion, and music. This panoramic view appears to have been taken during the 1920s. During the 20th century, many ethnic communities established separate schools to teach children the history and language of their culture. These classes were often held after school or on Saturdays.

Source

Dr. Themistocles J. Diamandis

Date

c. 1920s

Format

jpeg

Language

English

Type

photo

Files

1546024.jpg

Citation

“St. Nicholas Greek School c.1920s,” USF Library Special & Digital Collections Exhibits, accessed July 15, 2019, http://exhibits.lib.usf.edu/items/show/2884.