USF Libraries | Special & Digital Collections | Exhibits

St. Nicholas church choir ca. 1920s

Dublin Core

Title

St. Nicholas church choir ca. 1920s

Subject

Tarpon Springs, Greek community, St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox church choir with Father Karaphillis

Description

Father Theophilos Karaphillis (1883-1963) with George Anastassiou to his right, Vasile Faklis (then Papafaklis) to his left, and the first choir in front of old St. Nicholas Greek Church, circa 1925. Karaphillis came from Kalymnos in 1922 and served at St. Nicholas and in neighboring communities until he retired in 1954. He was revered in the community for his dedication and patience, and for overseeing the building of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral. After his funeral, parishioners followed his casket on foot to Cycadia Cemetery.

Source

Faklis family

Date

ca. 1920s

Format

jpeg

Language

English

Type

photo

Files

1546047.jpg

Citation

“St. Nicholas church choir ca. 1920s,” USF Library Special & Digital Collections Exhibits, accessed September 20, 2019, http://exhibits.lib.usf.edu/items/show/2904.