USF Libraries | Special & Digital Collections | Exhibits

Philoptochos ladies c.1930s

Dublin Core

Title

Philoptochos ladies c.1930s

Subject

Tarpon Springs, Greek community, Philoptochos members pose with Father Karaphillis

Description

This early image of Philoptochos members is probably from the late 1930s. The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society is a women's philanthropic society associated with the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. Its mission is to aid those in need, promote the charitable purposes of the Church through programs, lectures, seminars and other educational resources, and to preserve Orthodox traditions and doctrine. The first formal chapter was founded in 1902 in New York City, but branch societies were soon established at each Greek Orthodox church.

Source

Evelyn Miaoulis Bilirakis

Date

c. late 1930s

Format

jpeg

Language

English

Type

photo

Files

1546049.jpg

Citation

“Philoptochos ladies c.1930s,” USF Library Special & Digital Collections Exhibits, accessed December 14, 2019, http://exhibits.lib.usf.edu/items/show/2906.