USF Libraries | Special & Digital Collections | Exhibits

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church consecration, 1943

Dublin Core

Title

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church consecration, 1943

Subject

Tarpon Springs, Greek community, St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox church members and clergy at the groundbreaking for new church building

Description

Archbishop Athenagoras and Father Karaphillis at the consecration of the new St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in 1943. Chanter Vasile Faklis is on the far right behind Father Karaphillis. Completed at the height of World War II, it replaced the earlier wood frame church which had been damaged by fire and was too small for the community. The sponge industry experienced a boom during World War II as European sponge markets were closed to the U.S. and sponges were needed for the war effort. Much of the money needed to construct the church came from the spongers, who donated a percentage of their harvest to the cause, as well as through fundraising by the Greek fraternal organizations.

Source

Nellie Peronis Tiliakos & Magdaline Peronis Tiliakos

Date

1943

Format

jpeg

Language

English

Type

photo

Files

1546051.jpg

Citation

“St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church consecration, 1943,” USF Library Special & Digital Collections Exhibits, accessed December 14, 2019, http://exhibits.lib.usf.edu/items/show/2908.