USF Libraries | Special & Digital Collections | Exhibits

Gulf of Mexico Sponge Co. warehouse

Dublin Core

Title

Gulf of Mexico Sponge Co. warehouse

Subject

Tarpon Springs, Greek community, sponge industry, sponge warehouse

Description

The Gulf of Mexico Sponge Co. warehouse was built at 122 Roosevelt Boulevard around 1930 by Drosos Alahuzos, who arrived in the U.S. in 1916. Drosos ran the family sponge business out of Philadelphia but spent some of his time in Tarpon Springs, where his brothers Michael and Emmanuel had a warehouse. Michael Kousaleos and his father George had a sponge business in Pittsburg and Philadelphia. After Droso’s death in 1955, they purchased the sponge warehouse and operated the Gulf of Mexico Sponge Company until 1972. The Kousaleos family also helped bring new divers from Kalymnos. In 2004 Michael Kousaleos donated the warehouse to Heritage Village, Pinellas County’s living history museum in Largo.

Creator

Tina Bucuvalas

Format

jpeg

Language

English

Type

photo

Files

1546132[1].jpg

Citation

Tina Bucuvalas, “Gulf of Mexico Sponge Co. warehouse,” USF Library Special & Digital Collections Exhibits, accessed August 22, 2019, http://exhibits.lib.usf.edu/items/show/2985.