USF Libraries | Special & Digital Collections | Exhibits

Greek Documentation Project

Dublin Core


Greek Documentation Project



Items in the Greek Documentation Project Collection

Tarpon Springs Welcome Sign
The diving helmet, with its reference to the sponge industry, has become an icon of the City of Tarpon Springs.

Members of the Philoptochos Society with Father Theophilos Karaphillis.
The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society aids those in needs and promotes the charitiable purposes of the Church.

Left to right sitting: Irene Smitzes, Maria Miaoulis, Fr. Karaphillis, Asimeni Velousis, Mrs. Angelis,

Standing: Maria…

Flora Pappas and husband Louis with three sons, Mike, Jake, & Lucas.
The Pappas family established the Riverside Cafe in 1925, and it gradually became a highly successful local landmark.

Entrance to St. Nicholas Boatline.
In 1924 the Billiris family created one of the first sponge industry attractions. The St. Nicolas Boat Line Sponge Diving Exhibition employed divers during the winder tourist season and older divers during the summer.

Philip G. Fatolitis
One of the last living divers to have worked in a helmet, Phil Fatolitis learned to dive from his uncle Petros Fatolitis in the 1930s. He dove for the Navy during World War II, then returned to Tarpon Springs and worked in the industry for a total of…

Ali Ozunboylu
Born in Turkey, Ali Ozunboylu worked many years in Kalymnos before settling in Tarpon Springs. A consummate professional, he is currently the longest working active diver.